GOT A GREAT IDEA FOR AN APP?
Despite the many benefits of the mobile web, apps are still very popular, and there are a number of specific scenarios where an app will be your best choice. Generally speaking, if you need one of the following, an app makes sense:
Complex calculations or reporting
– If you need something that will take data and allow you to manipulate it with complex calculations, charts, or reports (think banking or CRM systems), an app will accomplish the task effectively.
Native functionality or processing required
– mobile web browsers are getting increasingly good at accessing certain mobile-specific functions, such as click-to-call, SMS, and GPS. However, if you need to access a user’s camera or processing power, an app will still do the job better.
No connection required
– If you need to provide offline access to content or perform functions without a network/wireless connection, then an app makes sense.
– If your target users will need personalized features for regular usage (think EverNote), an app will support those functions best.
– for interactive games, an app is almost always going to be your best choice.